During the fall, the Lafayette Science Museum and Planetarium goes all out.
First, the museum hosts a Bach Lunch free music series beginning at 11:15 a.m. most Fridays in Parc San Souci, corner of Polk, Congress and Vermilion streets in downtown Lafayette. Restaurants serve up great food (by purchase) and bands perform free.
In October, the Museum of Fear opens nightly, a haunted house thats so much more, and the month culminates with the Zombie Walk on Oct. 26. Folks in costumes (or perhaps escaping from The Walking Dead) begin their zombie trek from Parc San Souci and travel throughout the downtown Lafayette streets.
Its so much fun to see people get scared, said Kevin Krantz, director of the Lafayette Science Museum and Planetarium. The Zombie Walk is more performance art than anything else.
Finally, on Nov. 9, the museum teams up with Cit des Arts for the annual Steampunk and Makers Fair.
In the works are more partnerships, one with the University of Louisiana-Lafayettes Louisiana Immersive Technologies Enterprise (LITE) Center, where the museum will highlight all of the impressive things happening at LITE.
Another new feature to debut soon at the museum is the virtual aquarium.
We dont have to clean it, Krantz joked about the massive aquarium with hundreds of salt water fish people can view through 3-D glasses. We dont have to feed them either.
The following is the Bach Lunch schedule for fall, 2013:
- October 4: Les Freres Michot with food by Chris Po-Boys,Emas Caf.
- October 11: The Mercy Brothers with food by Creole Lunch House,Hub City Diner,Joeys Specialty Foods andRoly Poly.
- October 18: Sassafras Jubilee with food by Agave Cantina,OCharleys Restaurant andJoeys Specialty Foods.
- October 25: The Yvette Landry Band with Chick Fil A, Deanos, iMonelli andPouparts Bakery.
- November 1: Pine Leaf Trio with food by The French Press,Jefferson Street Pub andZeas Rotisserie & Grill.
- November 8: Les Bassettes with food by Cena to Go andBaileys Seafood & Grill.