Created by Larry Hurst, Richard Hurst’s dad. This recipe is great year round. Suggestions for use: 1. Stuff crab shells with stuffing and bake in over at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. If stuffing is hot or if stuffing is cold, cover stuffed crabs with aluminum foil, bake for 25 minutes covered, then uncover and bake 15 more minutes. 2. Roll stuffing into balls, batter and fry, or bake and top with Parmesan cheese for an appetizer.
1 cup chopped yellow onions
2/3 lb unsalted butter
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 loaf French bread (chopped in blender using pulse into small pieces, not crumbs)
2 oz of diced red pimentos
1tbsp minced garlic
1 lb white crabmeat
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
salt, red pepper, white pepper & black pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat, and add all ingredients except for crabmeat and bread.
2. Cover and simmer until vegetables are soft and peanut butter colored (do not brown).
3. Carefully (so as not to break the crabmeat) fold in crabmeat, cover and heat until crabmeat is hot.
4. Remove from heat and carefully fold in bread - do not stir.
5. Let cool then use as you wish.
Serves 4 people
Chef Richard Hurst
c/o Little River Inn
833 E Main St. | New Iberia, LA 70560