When most people think of beignets, they think of the French Quarter powdered sugar variety. These are savory little clouds of crawfish and corn that make an excellent first course to any dinner.
4 cups Lou Ana Peanut Oil
3 cups flour
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 pound crawfish tails, coarsely chopped
One 16-ounce can cooked whole kernel corn
1/4 cup minced parsley
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1. Heat Lou Ana Peanut Oil until it reaches 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl blend together flour, milk, baking powder, Cajun seasoning, garlic, thyme, hot sauce and stir until batter is formed.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients until all are incorporated.
4. Drop batter by the spoonful into hot grease, being careful not to splash.
5. Cook beignets for 5 minutes after they float to the top of pot, flipping occasionally.
6. Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Yields 2 dozen beignets.
Recipe compliments of Chef Patrick Mould.