- 1 stick butter
- 1 Chopped Large Yellow Onion
- ½ Chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Chopped Rib of Celery
- 1 Lb. Peeled Crawfish Tails
- 1 Tbl. All-Purpose Flour Dissolved in ½ C. Water
- Red Cayenne Pepper
- Granulated Garlic
- ¼ C. Chopped Green Onions
- 2 Tbl Chopped Fresh Parsley Leaves
- 1 8 Oz. Package of Regular Cream Cheese at Room Temperature
- 2 Sticks of Butter at Room Temperature
- 3 C. All-Purpose Flour plus 1 C. for Dusting
- To make the crawfish filling, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, green bell peppers, and celery, stirring to sauté until soft and translucent, about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Add crawfish tales. Stir and cook until they begin to release their liquid, being careful not to overcook, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour/water mixture to crawfish, reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens, 3-5 minutes.
- Season with salt, red cayenne pepper, and granulated garlic, to taste. Add green onions and parsley.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, cool slightly, then refrigerate.
- When mixture is completely cooled, chop mixture to a medium/fine consistency to use as filling.
- To make the pie dough, place butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a mixer and blend until well combined.
- Add 3 cups of flour and mix.
- Remove from bowl and place on a clean surface or parchment paper.
- Knead slightly, adding more flour if needed.
- Shape dough into ball and divide into 2
- Dust your rolling pen and surface for rolling out dough with flour. Roll out dough to desired thickness and cut into 3 inch rounds.
- Fill each round with 1 tablespoon cold crawfish filling, folding over dough, and seal by pinching edges together with a fork.
- Place finished pies on a parchment or waxed paper lined baking sheet and freeze.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350.
- Place frozen pies on a baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until center is warmed through and crust is golden.
Recipe compliments of Debra Taghehchian.