This dish is referred to as ""dirty rice"" because of the color of the rice at the end of the cooking process. If you ask someone from Louisiana what kind of dressing they want on their salad, the answer just may be, rice!
1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground chuck
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 cup dark roux
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups beef stock
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped green onions
15 cups packed cooked rice
1. Heat medium saucepot over medium heat. Add pork and beef and cook until meat is browned.
2. Add 1 cup of onions, 1/2 cup of bell pepper, 1/2 cup of celery, 2 tablespoons garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add dark roux and cook for additional 5 minutes. Add Cajun seasoning, salt, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, thyme, hot sauce and pepper.
4. Bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Add remaining onion, celery and bell pepper, cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Stir in green onions and parsley.
7. Stir in cooked rice until completely incorporated.
Yields approximately 22 servings.
Recipe compliments of Chef Patrick Mould.