- 4 catfish filets
- ¼ Cup Yellow Prepared Mustard
- 2 Tb Salt
- 1 Tb Red Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tb Granulated Garlic
- 1 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
- ½ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Cups Vegetable Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Sliced into Thin Rings
- Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees in a large, heavy bottom saucepan or cast iron pot. Allow for 2 inches of oil for proper frying, adding more oil if necessary.
- Cut each catfish filet into 4 to 6 pieces equal in size.
- Place catfish pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Season both sides with salt, red pepper, and granulated garlic, to taste.
- Add mustard and toss to coat each piece.
- Combine cornmeal and flour in large mixing bowl.
- Season cornmeal and flour mixture with salt, red pepper, and granulated garlic.
- Add catfish pieces to the mixture and toss.
- Shake off excess corn meal and set aside.
- Fry catfish pieces in batches, paying attention not to crowd pan.
- When pieces begin to float and brown on the edges, turn each piece.
- Continue frying until golden brown.
- Remove the catfish from the oil and place on cooling rack.
- Top cooked catfish pieces with the onion slices.
- Repeat the process until all pieces are fried.
Recipe compliments of Debra Taghehchian.