Chicken & Smoked Andouille Gumbo
One 2 1/2-pound chicken
14 cups water
2 tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
2 bay leaf
12 cups reserved chicken stock
1 cup dark roux
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup minced parsley
4 cups cooked rice
1. Place chicken, water, 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning and bay leaf in a stock pot. Bring to boil and simmer for 45 minutes. Strain and reserve liquid, allow chicken to cool, de-bone chicken discarding skin, coarse chop meat and set aside. Reserve 12 cups of chicken stock.*
2. Heat a large saucepot, add sliced andouille sausage and cook until browned. Stir in onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add reserved chicken stock and bring to boil, add dark roux, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add hot sauce and remaining Cajun Seasoning. Simmer for additional 30 minutes.
4. Add coarse chopped chicken and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in green onions and parsley. Divide rice into 8 large bowls and ladle in gumbo.
Yields 8 servings.
*If you don't end up with 12 cups of chicken stock you may add water to make up the difference."
Recipe compliments of Chef Patrick Mould.