You can use your favorite variety of mushroom for this dip; however, avoid canned mushrooms at all cost. There are two ingredients in the world of food that I unequivocally refuse to use; they are frozen crabmeat and canned mushrooms.
1 stick unsalted butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons Tony Chachere's
4 tablespoon flour
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled & de-veined
3 tablespoons minced parsley
1. Heat butter in medium saucepot. Add mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
2. Add Creole seasoning and flour and cook for 3 minutes, being careful not to brown the flour.
3. Add heavy cream, cheddar cheese, hot sauce and white pepper. Bring to a boil, lower fire and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure sauce does not stick.
4. Add shrimp and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally for additional 10 minutes.
5. Add parsley. Serve with crackers.
Yields approximately 6 cups of dip."
Recipe compliments of Chef Patrick Mould.