This is a great dessert to bake with the kids on a warm summer day. If you have the time you can make homemade ice cream to go along with the cobbler. Kids love to crank an old time ice cream maker.
1 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
8 tablespoons half & half cream
4 tablespoons cane syrup
3 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon orange zest
2 tablespoons orange juice
8-10 cups vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and butter. Using a fork or your fingers, knead flour and butter mixture until it resembles corn meal.
3. Add half and half cream, cane syrup and continue to mix until a soft dough is formed. Place on floured board and roll into flat crust. Set aside.
1. Combine berries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, orange zest and orange juice in a bowl and mix.
2. Place filling in buttered 8 x 10 casserole dish and spread dough over top. Press dough down around edges to seal filling. Pierce holes in the top of dough with a fork to release any steam from cobbler during baking process.
3. Bake for 30 minutes until dough is evenly browned. Cool for 5 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Yields 8 - 10 servings.
Recipe compliments of Chef Patrick Mould.